Welcome!


Welcome!! My name is Paul Lappen. I am in my early 60s, single, and live in Connecticut USA. This blog will consist of book reviews, written by me, on a wide variety of subjects. I specialize, as much as possible, in small press and self-published books, to give them whatever tiny bit of publicity help that I can. Other than that, I am willing to review nearly any genre, except poetry, romance, elementary-school children's books and (really bloody) horror.

I have another 800 reviews at my archive blog: http://www.deadtreesreviewarchive.blogspot.com (please visit).

I post my reviews to:

booklore.co.uk
midwestbookreview.com
Amazon and B&N (of course)
Librarything.com
Goodreads.com
Books-a-million.com
Reviewcentre.com
Pinterest.com
and on Twitter

I am always looking for more places to post my reviews.

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The Ten Commandments for a Successful Retirement

The Ten Commandments for a Successful Retirement, Corine T. Norgaard, Wormwood Hill Press, 2010

You have just arrived back home from your retirement party. Now what do you do?

The first thing you do is to find productive ways to fill your time. Spending your days playing cards at the local Senior Center, or spending your days on the golf course, does not qualify. Possibilities include: getting a part-time job in your field or a different field, starting your own business, becoming an entrepreneur or volunteering your time.

If volunteering or giving to charity is not for you, there are things anyone can do to make the world a better place. Do at least one good deed per week. Smile and greet those that you meet during the day, and give at least one sincere compliment per day.

You need to take an active role concerning your health and well-being. No one else will do it for you. Keeping your brain in shape is just as important as keeping your body in shape. Be willing to stay current and learn new things. Keep your family relationships in perspective. Don't expect anyone else to provide you with a full and meaningful social life. Discussion, and coming to agreements, will be needed concerning spouse, children/grandchildren and nearby relatives.

Get involved in activities that keep you in contact with your freinds and expose you to new people. Join a group activity, reach out to new people and don't forget your relatives. Come up with an "elevator speech." It's a short statement that tells people something about you. For instance, say "I'm Joe, and I'm involved with . . ." Don't say "I'm Mary, and I'm retired." Look for chances to interact with people covering a wide age range. Resist the temptation to start your sentences with phrases like "Back in my day." Doing so will get you branded as an old fogey who can be ignored so fast you won't know what hit you. When you look for new adventures, it can be something as small as attending an event in your hometown that you have never before attended.

This book is short, very easy to read, and is full of useful information. For anyone even near retirement age, reading this book is time very well spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment