Welcome!


Welcome!! My name is Paul Lappen. I am in my early 60s, single, and live in Connecticut USA. This blog will consist of book reviews, written by me, on a wide variety of subjects. I specialize, as much as possible, in small press and self-published books, to give them whatever tiny bit of publicity help that I can. Other than that, I am willing to review nearly any genre, except poetry, romance, elementary-school children's books and (really bloody) horror.

I have another 800 reviews at my archive blog: http://www.deadtreesreviewarchive.blogspot.com (please visit).

I post my reviews to:

booklore.co.uk
midwestbookreview.com
Amazon and B&N (of course)
Librarything.com
Goodreads.com
Books-a-million.com
Reviewcentre.com
Pinterest.com
and on Twitter

I am always looking for more places to post my reviews.

Saturday, January 15, 2022

Despite the Devil

 Despite the Devil, Shawna James, Drummond Martin Publishing, 2020

This is the story of two people in love, who are simply trying to get through life, despite a major obstacle.

Stephanie and Andrew teach at a local college in present-day Canada. She works in the English Department. Andrew, who is blond, Norwegian and very handsome, teaches in the Athletic Department. After dating for several months, they are married. Two children soon follow, Life is good.

The obstacle comes in the form of Roberta, Andrew's ex-wife. His command of English might be less-than-fluent, because he literally did not know he was married. They are divorced, but Andrew is stuck in a very bitter custody battle over their two children, Kevin and Muffy. Roberta keeps refusing to allow a paternity test; the children may not be Andrew's. There is no joint custody arrangement. As often as is legal, Roberta is in court, demanding more and more child support from Andrew, with little evidence that the money actually gets to the children. 

Andrew is forced to work longer hours to pay the legal bills and child support. Stephanie's hours at the college have been cut, so she starts an online business selling sports equipment. Something has to give between Andrew and Roberta. Does anyone "win" this emotional battle?

This is a very interesting tale of an average guy, and his loving wife, trying to do the right thing for a pair of innocent children. He is not a billionaire, or a werewolf (or a billionaire werewolf). Romance fans will enjoy it; this gets at least 4 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment