Welcome!


Welcome!! My name is Paul Lappen. I am in my early 60s, single, and live in Connecticut USA. This blog will consist of book reviews, written by me, on a wide variety of subjects. I specialize, as much as possible, in small press and self-published books, to give them whatever tiny bit of publicity help that I can. Other than that, I am willing to review nearly any genre, except poetry, romance, elementary-school children's books and (really bloody) horror.

I have another 800 reviews at my archive blog: http://www.deadtreesreviewarchive.blogspot.com (please visit).

I post my reviews to:

booklore.co.uk
midwestbookreview.com
Amazon and B&N (of course)
Librarything.com
Goodreads.com
Books-a-million.com
Reviewcentre.com
Pinterest.com
and on Twitter

I am always looking for more places to post my reviews.

Sunday, July 7, 2013

Mossad X

Mossad X, Ori Rotem, Amazon Digital Services, Inc., 2013

This novel is about the lengths to which a father will go for his daughter.

The book is set in present-day Israel. Nili works for the Mossad. Yakov, a senior figure in the Mossad, sets up a meeting with her for the next day. The rumor is that the subject will be about Paris. Reuven, another senior Mossad figure, can't let the meeting take place. Both Nili and Reuven were part of a Mossad team that committed a huge error in Paris a few years previously. Reuven is convinced that Nili is going to tell everything, so she must be eliminated.

An assassination is much too obvious, so Meir, Nili's boyfriend, arranges for her to be brutally attacked, and injected with a drug that paralyzes her entire body, including her vocal cords. Nili is not totally paralyzed, so she is able to tell Eli, her father, that she knows the men involved. Eli kidnaps them and "convinces" them to start talking.

If Nili does not receive the antidote within a few weeks, she will die. Reuven has the antidote, but he is not about to save Nili on humanitarian grounds. Eli and Miriam, his wife and former Mossad employee, come up with a plan to get Reuven's teenage children "out of the way" and convince him that they have been kidnapped. Reuven is given a stark choice: save Nili and his children will be freed. Otherwise. . .  Does Nili survive? Do Eli and Miriam survive? Is the huge error in Paris made public?

This one is really good. It's about a father's love for his children, and the things they will do to protect them. It also has plenty of intrigue, and yes, it is very much worth the reader's time.

No comments:

Post a Comment