Welcome!


Welcome!! My name is Paul Lappen. I am in my early 60s, single, and live in Connecticut USA. This blog will consist of book reviews, written by me, on a wide variety of subjects. I specialize, as much as possible, in small press and self-published books, to give them whatever tiny bit of publicity help that I can. Other than that, I am willing to review nearly any genre, except poetry, romance, elementary-school children's books and (really bloody) horror.

I have another 800 reviews at my archive blog: http://www.deadtreesreviewarchive.blogspot.com (please visit).

I post my reviews to:

booklore.co.uk
midwestbookreview.com
Amazon and B&N (of course)
Librarything.com
Goodreads.com
Books-a-million.com
Reviewcentre.com
Pinterest.com
and on Twitter

I am always looking for more places to post my reviews.

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Private School Blogger - I Need My Iphone!

Private School Blogger - I Need My IPhone!, Sam Lyons, Gamertag Publishing, 2013

Told in a series of blog postings, this is the story of your average middle-school student at his new (private) school.

Matthew is more interested in computer games than in school. He thinks very little of the school uniform that he has to wear on the first day of school (including a clip-on tie). His mother drops him off in an average, older mini-van, while the other kids get out of  limos and Merecedes-Benzes.

He almost gets out of history class without homework, until another student brings up the subject during class. Mrs. Fuddles, the Vice-Principal, wants to lose weight, so she decides that all the students must also eat healthier food. The students come up with some creative ways to express their dislike of "bunny food." Matthew learns that a couple of his classmates, and fellow computer gamers, live nearby, so he finds that walking home from school is not so bad.

Matthew's mother decides that he needs a haircut, so to save money, she takes him to a local barber college. Matthew is not impressed with the results. After school is the obligatory visit to GameStop to check out new games. He bemoans the boring clothes he got for Christmas, while his new friends got electronics or cool games.

Sounds like the life of the average middle school student, doesn't it? I am sure that many young people can identify with Matthew. It's short, and it's worth reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment