Welcome!


Welcome!! My name is Paul Lappen. I am in my early 60s, single, and live in Connecticut USA. This blog will consist of book reviews, written by me, on a wide variety of subjects. I specialize, as much as possible, in small press and self-published books, to give them whatever tiny bit of publicity help that I can. Other than that, I am willing to review nearly any genre, except poetry, romance, elementary-school children's books and (really bloody) horror.

I have another 800 reviews at my archive blog: http://www.deadtreesreviewarchive.blogspot.com (please visit).

I post my reviews to:

booklore.co.uk
midwestbookreview.com
Amazon and B&N (of course)
Librarything.com
Goodreads.com
Books-a-million.com
Reviewcentre.com
Pinterest.com
and on Twitter

I am always looking for more places to post my reviews.

Thursday, December 19, 2019

Rough Justice

Rough Justice, LifeTree Publishing, 2019, Amazon Digital Services

Set in the present-day American South, April, a local investigative reporter, is working on a biography of Judge Trulock, a well-respected local judge. She brings Clay, a local private investigator, with her, and they find the judge dead. The Sheriff's Office is called.

April and Clay do some investigating on their own. Attention shifts to a man named Alden Mallory. He was on trial several years previously for allegedly beating his wife to death (it was not the first time). He was convicted on a lesser charge, and will be released in the next couple of months. Perhaps he is settling some old scores. April and Clay find evidence of jury and witness tampering.

Clay learns, through his "sources," that someone wants him dead. Perhaps Mallory is that someone; maybe Clay has gotten too close to the truth. Is the "bad guy" found? Do April and Clay survive until the end?

This is a very good story. Sometimes a person needs a good old fashioned, well done, present-day murder mystery. This is that mystery. But, this book also needs a trip, or another trip, to a proofreader whose native language is English.

No comments:

Post a Comment