Welcome!


Welcome!! My name is Paul Lappen. I am in my early 60s, single, and live in Connecticut USA. This blog will consist of book reviews, written by me, on a wide variety of subjects. I specialize, as much as possible, in small press and self-published books, to give them whatever tiny bit of publicity help that I can. Other than that, I am willing to review nearly any genre, except poetry, romance, elementary-school children's books and (really bloody) horror.

I have another 800 reviews at my archive blog: http://www.deadtreesreviewarchive.blogspot.com (please visit).

I post my reviews to:

booklore.co.uk
midwestbookreview.com
Amazon and B&N (of course)
Librarything.com
Goodreads.com
Books-a-million.com
Reviewcentre.com
Pinterest.com
and on Twitter

I am always looking for more places to post my reviews.

Thursday, July 28, 2022

Sunflower

 Sunflower, Aleksandr Jarid, The Blue Print Works Ltd., 2022

This novel is all about freelance journalist Hugo Jensen. He is not just on the slippery slope toward hitting rock bottom, personally and professionally, Hugo is already there. He is broke, his colleagues have turned their backs on him, and his girlfriend has left him.

When all hope seems lost, a stranger befriends him and takes him on a quest of personal redemption. It involves "Sunflowers," the famous painting by Vincent Van Gogh. Does Hugo quiet the many monsters inside him, while on this quest, or does he create more emotional monsters?

This is a strong and very well-done story. The chapters switch from the past to the present, which can be confusing for the reader, or is a very good idea (it's a very good idea). It has lots of good writing, and will certainly keep the reader interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment