Welcome!


Welcome!! My name is Paul Lappen. I am in my early 60s, single, and live in Connecticut USA. This blog will consist of book reviews, written by me, on a wide variety of subjects. I specialize, as much as possible, in small press and self-published books, to give them whatever tiny bit of publicity help that I can. Other than that, I am willing to review nearly any genre, except poetry, romance, elementary-school children's books and (really bloody) horror.

I have another 800 reviews at my archive blog: http://www.deadtreesreviewarchive.blogspot.com (please visit).

I post my reviews to:

booklore.co.uk
midwestbookreview.com
Amazon and B&N (of course)
Librarything.com
Goodreads.com
Books-a-million.com
Reviewcentre.com
Pinterest.com
and on Twitter

I am always looking for more places to post my reviews.

Monday, December 13, 2021

The Machine Murders

 The Machine Murders: Island Buoys, CJ Abazis, Publisto Ltd., 2021

Set on the Greek island of Mykonos, this novel is about a man named Manu Manos. He is Greek, and works for Interpol in Singapore. He is attending the destination wedding of his roommate from Stanford, and there is an international conference on criminology also happening on the island.

A dead body is found, underwater, killed in a particularly gruesome way. The local police are better at handling drunk tourists than investigating a murder. Manu becomes the official head of the investigation, even though he is more comfortable with data sets and probabilities than interrogating suspects. 

As Interpol's computers scour the world of social media, and start to reduce the suspect list, another body is found, and another. There is seemingly no connection between the victims. Manu is continuously in contact with Singapore, where, interestingly, a copycat killer is found.

Suddenly, Lena, Manu's girlfriend, and the bride, have disappeared. Can Manu find them before they get added to the victim list?

Here is a gem of a story. It has plenty of suspense, an exotic location and dead bodies. This will keep the reader reading long past bedtime. 

No comments:

Post a Comment