Welcome!


Welcome!! My name is Paul Lappen. I am in my early 60s, single, and live in Connecticut USA. This blog will consist of book reviews, written by me, on a wide variety of subjects. I specialize, as much as possible, in small press and self-published books, to give them whatever tiny bit of publicity help that I can. Other than that, I am willing to review nearly any genre, except poetry, romance, elementary-school children's books and (really bloody) horror.

I have another 800 reviews at my archive blog: http://www.deadtreesreviewarchive.blogspot.com (please visit).

I post my reviews to:

booklore.co.uk
midwestbookreview.com
Amazon and B&N (of course)
Librarything.com
Goodreads.com
Books-a-million.com
Reviewcentre.com
Pinterest.com
and on Twitter

I am always looking for more places to post my reviews.

Monday, December 27, 2021

Undercover Lion

 Undercover Lion, Antoinette George, Brangwyn Press, 2021

Part 2 of a series, this novel takes place in early 1800's England and France. Nicholas de Bresancourt is a French duke with no lands or manor house to his name. Living in England, he is an occasional spy against the French, under Napoleon Bonaparte.

Nicky is sent to Spain, to look for a very elusive French agent, who has been causing the British a lot of trouble. His name is Bernheim, a well-known, and very feared, name to Nicky and his adopted family. After several months of diligent searching, Nicky finds Him, and is able to severely disrupt his plans. Nicky almost dies, after being shot by Bernheim.

After months of recuperation, Nicky returns to England, and to Bella, his wife. He learns of Bella's secret identity (read Part 1), and sets new records for being angry. She loves him a lot more than he loves her. Nicky takes out his anger on Bella, sexually, several times.

Suddenly, Nicky travels to France, to see about getting his family's land back, and get his manor house rebuilt. Just as suddenly, he disappears, and no one knows where he is. Bella goes to Paris to look for him. Nicky is still not happy to see her. Bella seriously considers going back to England, when things get deadly serious.

Here is an excellent novel. After four books in a previous series, and two books in this series, there has been no lessening in the quality of the storytelling. There is lots of good writing, and this is very much recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment