Welcome!


Welcome!! My name is Paul Lappen. I am in my early 60s, single, and live in Connecticut USA. This blog will consist of book reviews, written by me, on a wide variety of subjects. I specialize, as much as possible, in small press and self-published books, to give them whatever tiny bit of publicity help that I can. Other than that, I am willing to review nearly any genre, except poetry, romance, elementary-school children's books and (really bloody) horror.

I have another 800 reviews at my archive blog: http://www.deadtreesreviewarchive.blogspot.com (please visit).

I post my reviews to:

booklore.co.uk
midwestbookreview.com
Amazon and B&N (of course)
Librarything.com
Goodreads.com
Books-a-million.com
Reviewcentre.com
Pinterest.com
and on Twitter

I am always looking for more places to post my reviews.

Tuesday, December 28, 2021

The Survival Guide for Christians Living In a Fallen World

 The Survival Guide for Christians Living In a Fallen World, Melvin Douglas Wilson, Yorkshire Publishing, 2021

These are difficult times to be a Christian. This book offers some ways to do something about it.

It all starts with the clergy sex abuse scandal (nothing more needs to be said). The author has noticed a rise in the number of rappers, and young people in general, who wear crosses around their necks. These people have little, or no, idea what the cross actually represents. The author has little use for people who consider the cross to be a fashion statement.

The number of Christian cults in America has been rising rapidly in recent years. They may say, and do, all the right things, like advocating equality for all, and helping the poor. Do they read from the Bible? Do they worship God? If not, head for the exit, as fast as you can.

The author gives a brief history of the Peoples Temple, run by Reverend Jim Jones. From the outside, it sounded very liberal and progressive. As time went on, the idea was to worship Jim Jones, not God. Jones learned how to exert nearly total control over the lives of his parishioners. Things ended very badly.

There is also a brief history of Mormonism. The author has nothing against the religion. There are many similarities with Christianity; there are also big differences. Wilson considers it to not be a Christian religion.

The book includes many Bible passages, and other things people can use to stay pointed toward God, when there are many temptations to go in another direction. Yes, this is very much worth the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment