Welcome!


Welcome!! My name is Paul Lappen. I am in my early 60s, single, and live in Connecticut USA. This blog will consist of book reviews, written by me, on a wide variety of subjects. I specialize, as much as possible, in small press and self-published books, to give them whatever tiny bit of publicity help that I can. Other than that, I am willing to review nearly any genre, except poetry, romance, elementary-school children's books and (really bloody) horror.

I have another 800 reviews at my archive blog: http://www.deadtreesreviewarchive.blogspot.com (please visit).

I post my reviews to:

booklore.co.uk
midwestbookreview.com
Amazon and B&N (of course)
Librarything.com
Goodreads.com
Books-a-million.com
Reviewcentre.com
Pinterest.com
and on Twitter

I am always looking for more places to post my reviews.

Thursday, February 10, 2022

Burnout Diaries: How Work Stress Almost Killed Me

 Burnout Diaries: How Work Stress Almost Killed Me, Janna Donovan, Wydie Press LLC, 2021

This is the true story of one person's journey through the world of work stress and burnout.

Janna is a mid-level marketing executive at Nocura, a high-tech/cellphone company in Texas. Along with Dave, her husband, and their son, Sean, Janna has lived overseas in the past, so they figure that a transfer to Nocura's office in Malaysia is a great idea.

Janna is not new to executive stress, but this is a whole other level of stress. There is no easing into her new job. The division did not meet its quarterly sales quota; what will Janna do about it? There are several vacancies in her department, along with a hiring freeze. A seven-day work week is almost expected for those who are left. After only a few days, Janna asks herself "What am I doing here?"

As the weeks go on, Janna can't sleep or eat. She loses a lot of weight (not in a good way). She starts taking anti-depressants and anti-anxiety pills. Suicide looks very tempting. After several months, Janna is forced to quit. Her immediate boss is very understanding. Staying in Malaysia, Janna starts to regain her emotional bearings. She is the breadwinner in the family (that was decided when Sean was born). What does she do now?

This is the type of story that could take place in any industry and anywhere in the world. It is very much worth reading, especially for anyone who feels overwhelmed at work.

No comments:

Post a Comment