Welcome!


Welcome!! My name is Paul Lappen. I am in my early 60s, single, and live in Connecticut USA. This blog will consist of book reviews, written by me, on a wide variety of subjects. I specialize, as much as possible, in small press and self-published books, to give them whatever tiny bit of publicity help that I can. Other than that, I am willing to review nearly any genre, except poetry, romance, elementary-school children's books and (really bloody) horror.

I have another 800 reviews at my archive blog: http://www.deadtreesreviewarchive.blogspot.com (please visit).

I post my reviews to:

booklore.co.uk
midwestbookreview.com
Amazon and B&N (of course)
Librarything.com
Goodreads.com
Books-a-million.com
Reviewcentre.com
Pinterest.com
and on Twitter

I am always looking for more places to post my reviews.

Sunday, April 17, 2022

Not Today

 Not Today, David E Feldman, EFace Media, 2021

Beach City is a beautiful town on the East Coast that has quite a checkered history. Sometime in the past, the police commissioner murdered the mayor.

Dora Ellison is happy to be a sanitation engineer (garbage collector) until her roommate, police Lt. "Franny" Hart is killed under mysterious circumstances. Dora starts getting anonymous phone calls asking her to investigate "a murder that wasn't a murder."

Dora finds a wide streak of corruption in Beach City. If a person goes along with the status quo, everything is fine. If a person complains, for instance, about illegal wastewater dumping, they are suddenly arrested in trumped-up charges, or their business is suddenly shut down by the Health Department. Who is behind the corruption? Is it the mayor, or his chief of staff? Does Dora find out the truth?

This is a gem of a story, that is first in a series. It has a strong female character who is not the usual ex-cop trying to make it as a private investigator. It's a present-day tale with a unique reason for the corruption, and is very much recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment