Welcome!


Welcome!! My name is Paul Lappen. I am in my early 60s, single, and live in Connecticut USA. This blog will consist of book reviews, written by me, on a wide variety of subjects. I specialize, as much as possible, in small press and self-published books, to give them whatever tiny bit of publicity help that I can. Other than that, I am willing to review nearly any genre, except poetry, romance, elementary-school children's books and (really bloody) horror.

I have another 800 reviews at my archive blog: http://www.deadtreesreviewarchive.blogspot.com (please visit).

I post my reviews to:

booklore.co.uk
midwestbookreview.com
Amazon and B&N (of course)
Librarything.com
Goodreads.com
Books-a-million.com
Reviewcentre.com
Pinterest.com
and on Twitter

I am always looking for more places to post my reviews.

Friday, April 22, 2022

The Fabulous Four

 The Fabulous Four, Bunmi Oyinsan, Nurturing Minds Academy, 2021

Set in present-day Lagos, Nigeria, this young adult novel is about four young people who have gotten back together after having lived apart for the past several years. With parental approval, Rasaki, the family's driver, is asked to drive them to the local swimming pool, for a day of swimming. They never reach the pool.

Instead, Rasaki, takes them in the other direction, to a rural gas station, where he picks up another man, who is carrying a gun. The children are being kidnapped. They are to be taken across the border to be sold as domestic servants in a neighboring country (modern-day slavery).

Meantime, the parents know that something is very wrong, so they start their own search, and go to the police. The wheels of justice may move slowly, but they do move. The scene shifts to an isolated hospital. The criminal mastermind tries to convince the local doctor that he is the children's father, and they are just being mischievous (they are actually scared). Who does the doctor believe?

This is a really good story. For a glimpse into a different part of the world, this is very much worth reading. 


No comments:

Post a Comment