Welcome!


Welcome!! My name is Paul Lappen. I am in my early 60s, single, and live in Connecticut USA. This blog will consist of book reviews, written by me, on a wide variety of subjects. I specialize, as much as possible, in small press and self-published books, to give them whatever tiny bit of publicity help that I can. Other than that, I am willing to review nearly any genre, except poetry, romance, elementary-school children's books and (really bloody) horror.

I have another 800 reviews at my archive blog: http://www.deadtreesreviewarchive.blogspot.com (please visit).

I post my reviews to:

booklore.co.uk
midwestbookreview.com
Amazon and B&N (of course)
Librarything.com
Goodreads.com
Books-a-million.com
Reviewcentre.com
Pinterest.com
and on Twitter

I am always looking for more places to post my reviews.

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Crochet Rag Rugs Basic Pattern Collection

Crochet Rag Rugs Basic Pattern Collection, Sarah Holmes, CreateSpace, 2009

This short book, which includes patterns and pictures, is all about crocheting rugs using rags, not yarn. Crocheting with yarn is very well-known, but I have never heard of crocheting with rags. It sounds like a good way to get rid of excess fabric.

It talks about how to attach the 1-inch wide strips of fabric together, in order to make longer strips. Before you even start cutting your fabric strips, it might be good to estimate just how much will be needed; the book covers it. Another important point to remember is making sure that the rug will stay flat when it goes on the floor.

The book shows pictures of different kinds of rugs. There is a basic round rug, a rectangular rug (where it's OK to change colors every few rows), the well-known oval rug, a heart-shaped rug, a slice rag rug (that looks like a round rug that has been cut in half) and a harvest rug. Instructions are included with each picture, instructions that are written in Crochet, not in English.

Those who know how to use a crochet needle could do a lot worse than buy this book. The patterns and instructions seem like they are easy-to-follow. It is very much worth considering.

No comments:

Post a Comment