Welcome!


Welcome!! My name is Paul Lappen. I am in my early 60s, single, and live in Connecticut USA. This blog will consist of book reviews, written by me, on a wide variety of subjects. I specialize, as much as possible, in small press and self-published books, to give them whatever tiny bit of publicity help that I can. Other than that, I am willing to review nearly any genre, except poetry, romance, elementary-school children's books and (really bloody) horror.

I have another 800 reviews at my archive blog: http://www.deadtreesreviewarchive.blogspot.com (please visit).

I post my reviews to:

booklore.co.uk
midwestbookreview.com
Amazon and B&N (of course)
Librarything.com
Goodreads.com
Books-a-million.com
Reviewcentre.com
Pinterest.com
and on Twitter

I am always looking for more places to post my reviews.

Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Armada

Armada, Ernest Cline, Crown Publishing, 2015

Zack Lightman is an average teen-age resident of Oregon. His passion is video games, especially an Alien invasion game called Armada, at which he is one of the top players in the world.

Zack's father, Xavier, died when he was a baby (or did he?), but left behind some unique theories. He strongly believed that pop culture, from the Twilight Zone TV show to the Star Wars films all the way to present-day video games has a specific purpose. It is to indoctrinate mankind to the possibility of alien existence, because Contact has already happened.

At school one day, everyone rushes outside when a shuttle from the Earth Defense Alliance, exactly like the video game, lands on the athletic field. The people inside are looking for Zack. The invasion is real and imminent. Taken to a secret underground base, Zack and the other new recruits, all top players of the game, learn that swarms of drones are coming from Jupiter's moon, Europa. The intention is to wipe out humanity. All of Earth prepares for war.

While engaging the invaders, questions arise about their tactics. If they really want to destroy mankind, why are they using an inefficient method like a drone invasion? Pointing an asteroid at Earth, or releasing a worldwide plague would be much easier.

Anyone with any video game passion will love this novel. It is very easy to read, and understand, and would make a great movie. This is very much worth reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment