Welcome!


Welcome!! My name is Paul Lappen. I am in my early 60s, single, and live in Connecticut USA. This blog will consist of book reviews, written by me, on a wide variety of subjects. I specialize, as much as possible, in small press and self-published books, to give them whatever tiny bit of publicity help that I can. Other than that, I am willing to review nearly any genre, except poetry, romance, elementary-school children's books and (really bloody) horror.

I have another 800 reviews at my archive blog: http://www.deadtreesreviewarchive.blogspot.com (please visit).

I post my reviews to:

booklore.co.uk
midwestbookreview.com
Amazon and B&N (of course)
Librarything.com
Goodreads.com
Books-a-million.com
Reviewcentre.com
Pinterest.com
and on Twitter

I am always looking for more places to post my reviews.

Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Literature

Literature, Guillermo Stitch, Nineveh Editions, 2018

Set in an undefined present-day/near-future world, this is the story of Billy Stringer, newspaper reporter at the last newspaper in the city. He has messed up his first big assignment not on the sports desk, he is going to be late for work, his girlfriend is spending more time working for her PhD than with him and his only available clothes are from his high school prom.

Just to make things worse, he is convinced that people are trying to kill him, because he is a terrorist. In Billy's world, new fiction powers the highways. Old-style fiction is banned. Merely possessing a book will get a person thrown in prison, if not get them a date with the gallows. Billy has become addicted to books. He suddenly fears for the safety of his girlfriend and his mother.

This is a dystopian noir thriller about the power of words. It is a world where asking questions can be very hazardous to your health. There is not much explanation of how things got to this point, but it is still a first-rate story that will keep the reader interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment