Welcome!


Welcome!! My name is Paul Lappen. I am in my early 60s, single, and live in Connecticut USA. This blog will consist of book reviews, written by me, on a wide variety of subjects. I specialize, as much as possible, in small press and self-published books, to give them whatever tiny bit of publicity help that I can. Other than that, I am willing to review nearly any genre, except poetry, romance, elementary-school children's books and (really bloody) horror.

I have another 800 reviews at my archive blog: http://www.deadtreesreviewarchive.blogspot.com (please visit).

I post my reviews to:

booklore.co.uk
midwestbookreview.com
Amazon and B&N (of course)
Librarything.com
Goodreads.com
Books-a-million.com
Reviewcentre.com
Pinterest.com
and on Twitter

I am always looking for more places to post my reviews.

Saturday, September 14, 2019

Heart of a Warrior Angel

Heart of a Warrior Angel: From Darkness to Light, Lali A Love, Tellwell Talent, 2019

This novel starts in the former Soviet Republic of Georgia. Dragan marries Mira, who is a teenager. She is pregnant soon afterwards. Dragan is very cruel and abusive toward Mira, and Lilac, their daughter. Mira's parents (he is part of the Russian mob) give Mira, Lilac and Jasmine, another daughter, a safe place to go. Abruptly, Dragan moves the family to Israel.

Mom and Dad are able to follow. Dragan does his compulsory military service, then is committed to a mental hospital, because of PTSD. Mira and the girls are actually able to have normal lives. Dragan escapes, and, in the middle of the night, moves the family to Toronto.

Among Dragan's many demands is that Mira produce a male heir, but she gives him two more daughters. If anything, the emotional and physical abuse gets even worse. Dragan opens a local restaurant, at which the whole family is expected to work, as slaves. Years later, in a fancy house on the outskirts of Toronto, the moment comes when Dragan is out of the picture, permanently.

The family then learns how to breathe again, and starts the process of healing (it is not always a straight line upwards). A nagging question for all is: Was Dragan's behavior learned from his father, was it because of his PTSD, or was it genetic, and will any of the family exhibit the same behavior?

This is not an easy novel to read, but it is a very good novel. Personally, the second half of the novel got a little too new age-ish, but, having endured that level of abuse, emotional help from anywhere will be appreciated. Yes, it is very much worth reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment