Welcome!


Welcome!! My name is Paul Lappen. I am in my early 60s, single, and live in Connecticut USA. This blog will consist of book reviews, written by me, on a wide variety of subjects. I specialize, as much as possible, in small press and self-published books, to give them whatever tiny bit of publicity help that I can. Other than that, I am willing to review nearly any genre, except poetry, romance, elementary-school children's books and (really bloody) horror.

I have another 800 reviews at my archive blog: http://www.deadtreesreviewarchive.blogspot.com (please visit).

I post my reviews to:

booklore.co.uk
midwestbookreview.com
Amazon and B&N (of course)
Librarything.com
Goodreads.com
Books-a-million.com
Reviewcentre.com
Pinterest.com
and on Twitter

I am always looking for more places to post my reviews.

Sunday, November 22, 2020

Shapers

 Shapers: Reinvent the Way You Work and Change the Future, Jonas Altman, Wiley, 2020

Everyone wants to work at a job where they feel empowered and engaged, and want to make the world a better place. This book gives the details.

The problem with such an attitude is that few people actually work at such an empowering job. Large numbers of people treat their job as just a paycheck. What's worse is that some people actually hate their job, and are honestly considering sabotage. What can a company do to increase the engagement level, since an employee will be there for only a couple of years? It will take a lot more than a foosball table, and free pizza on Fridays.

If there is one buzzword to take from this book, it is "fluidity" or "flexibility." Employees, and employers, must realize (if they haven't already done so) that the days of spending your entire career at one company are gone forever. The average employee will change careers several times during their working lives.

Good bosses sometimes get noticed, but bad bosses go to the top of the list of Reasons To Quit. A great salesman may make a horrible Regional Sales Manager. It is not always his (or her) fault.

This is a very interesting book. It is recommended for everyone, but especially for those who want to feel engaged at work, but don't know how to get there

No comments:

Post a Comment