Welcome!


Welcome!! My name is Paul Lappen. I am in my early 60s, single, and live in Connecticut USA. This blog will consist of book reviews, written by me, on a wide variety of subjects. I specialize, as much as possible, in small press and self-published books, to give them whatever tiny bit of publicity help that I can. Other than that, I am willing to review nearly any genre, except poetry, romance, elementary-school children's books and (really bloody) horror.

I have another 800 reviews at my archive blog: http://www.deadtreesreviewarchive.blogspot.com (please visit).

I post my reviews to:

booklore.co.uk
midwestbookreview.com
Amazon and B&N (of course)
Librarything.com
Goodreads.com
Books-a-million.com
Reviewcentre.com
Pinterest.com
and on Twitter

I am always looking for more places to post my reviews.

Sunday, September 5, 2021

Peace in the Abyss

 Peace in the Abyss, Tayo Emmanuel, Total Word Publishers, 2021

Set in present-day Lagos, Nigeria, this novel is about a woman named Preye Banigo. Raised by a single parent, Preye has built a successful PR agency. She is also part of a local running club. The only bad part is that she is approaching forty years old, and she is single. Her marriage prospects are rapidly shrinking.

Timi Coker is an only child from a rich family. He wants to marry Preye; what he doesn't want is an independent woman. After they are married, Preye is expected to give up the running club. On a romantic weekend, where she accepts his marriage proposal, Timi gets upset when Preye wants to keep her maiden/professional name, after marriage. He also gets upset when Preye takes out her laptop to do some work. After marriage, Timi also wants to move to a different part of Lagos, which, among things, will mean a longer daily commute for Preye. (The current population of Lagos is over 20 million.)

Do Preye's friends get her to see the truth, that Timi is a controlling narcissist? Does Preye go through with the wedding? Does this turn into a woman-in-peril story that should become a TV movie?

This is a very poignant and heartfelt story that could take place anywhere in the world. If it can get one woman to see the red flags that are all over "Mr. Right," it has done its job. This is very much recommended for all women, married or single. 

No comments:

Post a Comment