Welcome!


Welcome!! My name is Paul Lappen. I am in my early 60s, single, and live in Connecticut USA. This blog will consist of book reviews, written by me, on a wide variety of subjects. I specialize, as much as possible, in small press and self-published books, to give them whatever tiny bit of publicity help that I can. Other than that, I am willing to review nearly any genre, except poetry, romance, elementary-school children's books and (really bloody) horror.

I have another 800 reviews at my archive blog: http://www.deadtreesreviewarchive.blogspot.com (please visit).

I post my reviews to:

booklore.co.uk
midwestbookreview.com
Amazon and B&N (of course)
Librarything.com
Goodreads.com
Books-a-million.com
Reviewcentre.com
Pinterest.com
and on Twitter

I am always looking for more places to post my reviews.

Saturday, September 4, 2021

The Waffle Maker

 The Waffle Maker, Sverre Steensen, Upstart Garage Media, 2021

Intended for children/teens, this is the story of June, a 13-year-old who wants to start her own waffle business. Her father is very supportive; eventually, her mother and brother get on board. Her uncle, who successfully started his own business, helps a lot. June learns, the hard way, about things like startup costs, operating costs, marketing and dealing with competition. There are many obstacles and false starts along the way, but June, and the reader, learns a lot about being an entrepreneur.

This is a first-rate piece of writing. It is presented as a story, not as a bunch of dry facts. Some may think that the text is too "young" for teens, or too "old" for a seven-year-old. If it just inspires a person to begin thinking about starting their own business, it will have succeeded. It is also recommended for parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment