Welcome!


Welcome!! My name is Paul Lappen. I am in my early 60s, single, and live in Connecticut USA. This blog will consist of book reviews, written by me, on a wide variety of subjects. I specialize, as much as possible, in small press and self-published books, to give them whatever tiny bit of publicity help that I can. Other than that, I am willing to review nearly any genre, except poetry, romance, elementary-school children's books and (really bloody) horror.

I have another 800 reviews at my archive blog: http://www.deadtreesreviewarchive.blogspot.com (please visit).

I post my reviews to:

booklore.co.uk
midwestbookreview.com
Amazon and B&N (of course)
Librarything.com
Goodreads.com
Books-a-million.com
Reviewcentre.com
Pinterest.com
and on Twitter

I am always looking for more places to post my reviews.

Tuesday, June 7, 2022

The Adventures of Captain Shoelace

 The Adventures of Captain Shoelace, Jon Morgan, Independently Published, 2022

This middle-grade young adult novel is about Captain Shoelace, a teenage pirate who is totally obsessed with banana cream pies. A royal wedding is happening, so Shoelace figures that he can sneak in and steal a pie or two while no one is looking. He is caught, and the King is not happy.

At that moment, the island is attacked by two other pirate fleets, led by Redbeard and Bluebeard. All three captains end up in jail; execution is looking increasingly likely. Word reaches them that a new fleet has entered the area. This one is led by an extremely mean pirate called Blackboot. He releases Shoelace from jail, because the two were classmates back in pirate school. 

Blackboot asks Shoelace if he would like to join his pirate enterprise; like Shoelace has a choice. Blackboot's fleet includes the Ultimate Weapon, that he plans to use to destroy the castle, and take over. Shoelace escapes, and tries to warn the King. Pirates are not known for being very honest, so the warning is ignored. Can Shoelace stop Blackboot's evil plan before it's too late?

This story is surprisingly good. It's got pirates and royalty, and plenty of swashbuckling action. This is very much worth reading for all young people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment