Welcome!


Welcome!! My name is Paul Lappen. I am in my early 60s, single, and live in Connecticut USA. This blog will consist of book reviews, written by me, on a wide variety of subjects. I specialize, as much as possible, in small press and self-published books, to give them whatever tiny bit of publicity help that I can. Other than that, I am willing to review nearly any genre, except poetry, romance, elementary-school children's books and (really bloody) horror.

I have another 800 reviews at my archive blog: http://www.deadtreesreviewarchive.blogspot.com (please visit).

I post my reviews to:

booklore.co.uk
midwestbookreview.com
Amazon and B&N (of course)
Librarything.com
Goodreads.com
Books-a-million.com
Reviewcentre.com
Pinterest.com
and on Twitter

I am always looking for more places to post my reviews.

Monday, January 30, 2023

Special Skills Teens Need to Survive High School

 Special Skills Teens Need to Survive High School, M.A. Gallant, 2022

Even under the best of circumstances, a person's high school years can be a very challenging time. This book is here to help.

 

If this book can be reduced to a couple of sentences, it might be "Don't be afraid to establish emotional boundaries in your own life (certain behaviors are not acceptable around me). There are considerate and non-insulting ways of saying that a person has breached those boundaries."

 

Look around inside yourself, and see what kind of person you really are. Come up with your own personal Bill of Rights. When asking your parents to raise your allowance, or extend your curfew, show some evidence that you are responsible. Don't say "Because I deserve it." The book also looks at teachers and potential bullies, your job and setting boundaries while dating.

 

This is an excellent book. It provides plenty of ideas to make a person's high school years easier to navigate. It is recommended for all high school students, for those not yet in high school, and for their parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment