Welcome!


Welcome!! My name is Paul Lappen. I am in my early 60s, single, and live in Connecticut USA. This blog will consist of book reviews, written by me, on a wide variety of subjects. I specialize, as much as possible, in small press and self-published books, to give them whatever tiny bit of publicity help that I can. Other than that, I am willing to review nearly any genre, except poetry, romance, elementary-school children's books and (really bloody) horror.

I have another 800 reviews at my archive blog: http://www.deadtreesreviewarchive.blogspot.com (please visit).

I post my reviews to:

booklore.co.uk
midwestbookreview.com
Amazon and B&N (of course)
Librarything.com
Goodreads.com
Books-a-million.com
Reviewcentre.com
Pinterest.com
and on Twitter

I am always looking for more places to post my reviews.

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Life Coaching for Mothers

Life Coaching for Mothers, Melissa J. Magnus, 2011

Being a mother is one of the most rewarding, and stressful, jobs available. This book shows how to find a middle path between being a mother and an individual.

What did you like to do when you were a child? What sort of things do you like to do now? Who do you admire and why? What are your values? These are the sort of questions you should ask yourself to determine your purpose and goal in life. Visualize that goal, make it specific (please be more specific than "I want lots of money"), and express gratitude for what you do have.

An important tool for any mother is time management. Have a daily to-do list. Get a big calendar and write down each day's activities. See if you can trade babysitting duties with another mother, or a group of mothers. If you are a stay-at-home mother with internet access, start a home-based business. When your child is old enough, get them involved in daily goals and chores. Start with something simple, like eating their vegetables or picking up their toys.

You will be of no use to anyone if you don't take care of yourself. When your baby is sleeping, you should also be sleeping. "Eat right and exercise regularly" may sound like a cliche, but it's true. Exercise could consist of putting baby in a stroller, and going for a walk; housework can also be a workout.

The book also looks at how to deal with your child's behavior. What works for one child may not work for another child. Make it clear that the action is bad, like hitting or making a mess, not that they are bad for doing it. Practice leaving them alone in a room for a few minutes at a time, that slowly increase that period of time. Getting used to not having you around every minute will help when it is time for them to start kindergarten.

This book is short, but it does a really good job. A visit to http://www.lifecoachingformothers.com/sign_me_up.html to get a copy and find more information for stressed-out mothers is a very good idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment