Welcome!


Welcome!! My name is Paul Lappen. I am in my early 60s, single, and live in Connecticut USA. This blog will consist of book reviews, written by me, on a wide variety of subjects. I specialize, as much as possible, in small press and self-published books, to give them whatever tiny bit of publicity help that I can. Other than that, I am willing to review nearly any genre, except poetry, romance, elementary-school children's books and (really bloody) horror.

I have another 800 reviews at my archive blog: http://www.deadtreesreviewarchive.blogspot.com (please visit).

I post my reviews to:

booklore.co.uk
midwestbookreview.com
Amazon and B&N (of course)
Librarything.com
Goodreads.com
Books-a-million.com
Reviewcentre.com
Pinterest.com
and on Twitter

I am always looking for more places to post my reviews.

Sunday, December 23, 2018

Escape from Hypatia 5

Escape from Hypatia 5: The 18th Shadow, Jon Lee Grafton, Amazon Digital Services, 2018

Part 4 of a series, this near-future novel takes place partly on the Moon. That is where the North American Union has built Hypatia 5, the ultimate in maximum-security prisons. Run by a person called The Architect, the only way to leave is in death.

It is also a place of gladiatorial games, involving humans, androids and cyborgs. Naturally, the battles are televised live on Earth. It is also a popular destination for the ultra-rich to watch the battles in person. A new cyborg is on the scene, a former person called The Prophet who remembers her former life. Is the "Escape from Hypatia 5" a success? Who wants to escape and why?

This is a very good, but very violent, novel. My only complaint is that it is fourth in the series (hardly the author's fault). I am one of those who Must read a series in order. For those who have read the other three books, this book is very much worth reading. It is less successful as a stand-alone novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment