Welcome!


Welcome!! My name is Paul Lappen. I am in my early 60s, single, and live in Connecticut USA. This blog will consist of book reviews, written by me, on a wide variety of subjects. I specialize, as much as possible, in small press and self-published books, to give them whatever tiny bit of publicity help that I can. Other than that, I am willing to review nearly any genre, except poetry, romance, elementary-school children's books and (really bloody) horror.

I have another 800 reviews at my archive blog: http://www.deadtreesreviewarchive.blogspot.com (please visit).

I post my reviews to:

booklore.co.uk
midwestbookreview.com
Amazon and B&N (of course)
Librarything.com
Goodreads.com
Books-a-million.com
Reviewcentre.com
Pinterest.com
and on Twitter

I am always looking for more places to post my reviews.

Saturday, December 28, 2019

Speed Reading Techniques, Exercises and Tips

Speed Reading Techniques, Exercises and Tips: Learn Faster and Achieve More by Improving Your Reading Speed and Comprehension, Michael Cobble, Digital Media Life, 2019

Everyone wants to be able to read faster and understand more of what they read. This book presents some easy ways to get there.

Try putting your finger, or a pencil, at the end of each line. Move it down the page at faster than your normal reading speed, forcing your eyes, and your comprehension, to keep up. Put a ruler under each line, and do the same. Try reading just the first, and last, sentences of each paragraph. Focus your eyes on the center of each line, and let your peripheral vision read the rest of each line.

Another possibility is to read the first full line of the page, focus on the center of the line for the rest of the page, and then read the last full line of the page, like the letter "I." There are many exercises included, for when your eyes get tired or sore. Like any new skill, this will require lots of practice.

If it is not possible to become one of those people who can read an entire novel in less than one day, don't worry. Any increase in reading speed is automatically a good thing. This book is short, easy to read and very much worth checking out.

No comments:

Post a Comment