Welcome!


Welcome!! My name is Paul Lappen. I am in my early 60s, single, and live in Connecticut USA. This blog will consist of book reviews, written by me, on a wide variety of subjects. I specialize, as much as possible, in small press and self-published books, to give them whatever tiny bit of publicity help that I can. Other than that, I am willing to review nearly any genre, except poetry, romance, elementary-school children's books and (really bloody) horror.

I have another 800 reviews at my archive blog: http://www.deadtreesreviewarchive.blogspot.com (please visit).

I post my reviews to:

booklore.co.uk
midwestbookreview.com
Amazon and B&N (of course)
Librarything.com
Goodreads.com
Books-a-million.com
Reviewcentre.com
Pinterest.com
and on Twitter

I am always looking for more places to post my reviews.

Monday, July 27, 2020

Jews Who Rescued Jews During the Holocaust

Jews Who Rescued Jews During the Holocaust: 100 Stories of Jewish Rescue I, Moshe Gromb, Nadav Books, 2020

 

Yad Vashem, the official Holocaust memorial in Israel, has a long list of non-Jews who helped Jews escape the Holocaust; they are called Righteous Among the Nations (the Holocaust Museum in Washington DC has a similar list). When it comes to Jews who helped Jews escape to safety, Yad Vashem has nothing. Evidently, no European Jews ever helped other Jews reach safety during World War II. (Really?) this book starts to fill in that historical hole.

A variety of methods were used to help Jews who faced deportation and death, all over Europe. Some rescuers were able to forge, and distribute, residence permits. Some were able to travel from ghetto to ghetto, relaying information, and bringing food and medical supplies. Others were able to take care of orphan children, and were able to get them over the border to safety in neutral Switzerland (for example). The stories in this book, only two or three pages each, are heartwarming and heartbreaking at the same time. Some rescuers survived the war, while others were not so lucky.

For anyone who wants to know about a "hidden" part of the Holocaust, this is very much recommended. For anyone who thinks that Jews didn't fight back during World War II, this is very much recommended. Here is a gem of a book.

No comments:

Post a Comment