Welcome!


Welcome!! My name is Paul Lappen. I am in my early 60s, single, and live in Connecticut USA. This blog will consist of book reviews, written by me, on a wide variety of subjects. I specialize, as much as possible, in small press and self-published books, to give them whatever tiny bit of publicity help that I can. Other than that, I am willing to review nearly any genre, except poetry, romance, elementary-school children's books and (really bloody) horror.

I have another 800 reviews at my archive blog: http://www.deadtreesreviewarchive.blogspot.com (please visit).

I post my reviews to:

booklore.co.uk
midwestbookreview.com
Amazon and B&N (of course)
Librarything.com
Goodreads.com
Books-a-million.com
Reviewcentre.com
Pinterest.com
and on Twitter

I am always looking for more places to post my reviews.

Friday, October 18, 2019

Global Career

Global Career: How to Work Anywhere and Travel Forever, Michael T. Swigunski, 2018, New Nomad Publishing

Have you ever felt the desire to live, or work, overseas? This book tells how to do it.

Most universities have some sort of study abroad program. It is never too early to start figuring out things like finances and academic requirements. Don't choose a destination based just on the beaches, or the nightlife; choose one that will actually help your career. The classes and other activities will be pretty structured; you will not have much time to explore on your own. Learn how to network, network, network. You never know who, in your group, or at the foreign school, will know about a further educational opportunity, or an internship.

Internships are much less structured than study abroad programs. You will get work experience, which will certainly help your resume, but you will also be much more on your own. Ask, far in advance, if there is any sort of stipend available. When you are traveling, be flexible in your itinerary; don't plan every single day. Leave room to travel this way, instead of that way, or to investigate an educational, or work, opportunity in another city.

If you want to work overseas, and you work for a large company, see if you can transfer to one of their foreign offices. When you reach your destination, apply at local staffing agencies; they can point you in the right direction. Several countries, including Ireland, Singapore and Australia have a reciprocal arrangement with America that helps getting a work visa pretty easy. The book also covers money, credit cards and what to pack (a lot less than you might think).

This book is "one-stop shopping" for anyone who wants to live, or work, in another country. It is very easy to read, and understand, and is very much recommended.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Paul, thanks so much for the kind words. Reviews like this absolutely make my day and I really apprecaite it! Thanks again and happy travels.

    -Mike Swigunski

    ReplyDelete