Welcome!


Welcome!! My name is Paul Lappen. I am in my early 60s, single, and live in Connecticut USA. This blog will consist of book reviews, written by me, on a wide variety of subjects. I specialize, as much as possible, in small press and self-published books, to give them whatever tiny bit of publicity help that I can. Other than that, I am willing to review nearly any genre, except poetry, romance, elementary-school children's books and (really bloody) horror.

I have another 800 reviews at my archive blog: http://www.deadtreesreviewarchive.blogspot.com (please visit).

I post my reviews to:

booklore.co.uk
midwestbookreview.com
Amazon and B&N (of course)
Librarything.com
Goodreads.com
Books-a-million.com
Reviewcentre.com
Pinterest.com
and on Twitter

I am always looking for more places to post my reviews.

Sunday, February 19, 2023

Chronicles of Anne

 Chronicles of Anne, Naif Makmi and Adel Saud, 2022

Set in 1600's Scandinavia, Mikael is a young man who walks through a hole in the forest and meets a young woman named Alice. He is instantly smitten. The problem is that Mikael is a pure human, and Alice is a ghost (but with a human body). They live in different dimensions because both groups have reasons to hate and fear the other. Simply being in the other dimension leads to jail and a probable death sentence. They run away together, and have a child. It is intentionally taken from them, by a friend, as Alice and Mikael meet their violent end.

 

Fast forward a dozen years. Anne has spent her life in an orphanage with no idea who her parents are. She goes to school, but it's not much of a school. She really wants to attend the sorcery school across the street. Anne gets her chance, acquires her own magic wand, and starts to learn about potions. She also has strange dreams and visions, and is harassed by unknown people. She has been Noticed by certain people who think that she is the fulfillment of a prophecy. The offspring of Alice and Mikael is destined to become a great witch who will lead her people to peace and prosperity. Does Anne fulfill her prophecy? Does she have a choice?

 

This is a strong and well-done story. It has enough sorcery and violence for anyone. This book almost, but not quite, reaches the level of being an excellent story; it gets 4.5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment