Welcome!


Welcome!! My name is Paul Lappen. I am in my early 60s, single, and live in Connecticut USA. This blog will consist of book reviews, written by me, on a wide variety of subjects. I specialize, as much as possible, in small press and self-published books, to give them whatever tiny bit of publicity help that I can. Other than that, I am willing to review nearly any genre, except poetry, romance, elementary-school children's books and (really bloody) horror.

I have another 800 reviews at my archive blog: http://www.deadtreesreviewarchive.blogspot.com (please visit).

I post my reviews to:

booklore.co.uk
midwestbookreview.com
Amazon and B&N (of course)
Librarything.com
Goodreads.com
Books-a-million.com
Reviewcentre.com
Pinterest.com
and on Twitter

I am always looking for more places to post my reviews.

Thursday, February 23, 2023

Storytelling with Charts

 Storytelling with Charts: A Tutorial to Quickly Master the Art and Science of Telling Engaging Stories with Charts, Sam Schreim, 2023

 

In any business, putting together a slide presentation can be very nerve-wracking. It's easy to do it wrong. This book presents ways to keep your audience from yawning or reaching for their cellphones.

 

It starts with KISS (Keep it simple, stupid). Use only one chart, or one concept, per slide. Next, stay consistent throughout your presentation. Use the same font type, or font size (as much as possible). Use the same numerical scale on your charts. If one chart has a number xxx.x, use it on all other charts.

 

If possible, use numbers in your charts that can be verified, and not guesses or projections. In these days of big data, there is no lack of data available. The hard part is to find the "right" data. That starts with knowing the right questions to ask.

 

Sometimes, like in the legal field, words will be more important than numbers. Use bullet points - keep it simple. Ensure that the person in the back of the room can read, and understand, your slide.

 

Here is a very specialized, and very good, book. Anyone who creates business presentations, on slides or PowerPoint, will greatly benefit by reading this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment