Welcome!


Welcome!! My name is Paul Lappen. I am in my early 60s, single, and live in Connecticut USA. This blog will consist of book reviews, written by me, on a wide variety of subjects. I specialize, as much as possible, in small press and self-published books, to give them whatever tiny bit of publicity help that I can. Other than that, I am willing to review nearly any genre, except poetry, romance, elementary-school children's books and (really bloody) horror.

I have another 800 reviews at my archive blog: http://www.deadtreesreviewarchive.blogspot.com (please visit).

I post my reviews to:

booklore.co.uk
midwestbookreview.com
Amazon and B&N (of course)
Librarything.com
Goodreads.com
Books-a-million.com
Reviewcentre.com
Pinterest.com
and on Twitter

I am always looking for more places to post my reviews.

Tuesday, February 6, 2024

Breakthrough: How to Design Your Life

 Breakthrough: How to Design your Life, Joe Thomsett, Coevolve Publishing, 2023

 

Are you in a job that you hate because you "should" be there? Throughout your life, have you been told that you "have to" go to college, and get a lucrative job, like in law or corporate finance? After that, are you "supposed" to get married, take on a lot of debt when buying a house, and have the appropriate number of children? On your deathbed, forty or fifty years from now, are you going to look back and think "What did I do with my life?" For those not interested in such a life, this book may help.

 

First of all, recognize the programming of what you should do with your life. The message could be from society in general, or parents who only want (what they have been taught is) the best for you. Next, look inside yourself. What are you passionate about? What did you enjoy doing when you were young? What hobbies or interests got pushed aside when you entered the working world? Is there a way to turn your interest in cooking, or playing a musical instrument (for instance) into a career? Have you ever wanted to keep working while living in a foreign country? Look up the words "digital nomad."

 

There are a million diet/exercise plans available. The best one for you is the one that you will stick with, all the time. Consider severely de-cluttering your life. You need to be brutal in getting rid of clothes that you will never wear, monthly subscriptions on your credit card that you don't use, and time-wasting meetings and e-mail threads at work. It might help you get closer to "it," whatever you are passionate about.

 

This is a gem of a book. If a person can only move in this direction, but not get all the way to "passion-land," it is still a very good thing. It is very easy to read, and very much worth reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment