Welcome!


Welcome!! My name is Paul Lappen. I am in my early 60s, single, and live in Connecticut USA. This blog will consist of book reviews, written by me, on a wide variety of subjects. I specialize, as much as possible, in small press and self-published books, to give them whatever tiny bit of publicity help that I can. Other than that, I am willing to review nearly any genre, except poetry, romance, elementary-school children's books and (really bloody) horror.

I have another 800 reviews at my archive blog: http://www.deadtreesreviewarchive.blogspot.com (please visit).

I post my reviews to:

booklore.co.uk
midwestbookreview.com
Amazon and B&N (of course)
Librarything.com
Goodreads.com
Books-a-million.com
Reviewcentre.com
Pinterest.com
and on Twitter

I am always looking for more places to post my reviews.

Sunday, June 18, 2023

In Search of Rohan Chang

 In Search of Rohan Chang, Lincoln Lee

 

Rohan Chang is your average Asian kid living in present-day New York City. He spends much of his time not knowing what to say to the lovely Amayah, a high school classmate, and being deathly afraid of saying the wrong thing.

 

Rohan starts hearing voices in his head; his first thought is that he's going nuts. He then starts to acquire superhero powers. He becomes very strong, and can run very fast. Also acquiring the ability to teleport himself anywhere, he accidentally teleports himself right next to a young woman who has just been murdered by the city's latest serial killer. Rohan also reduces the intensity of his ability to heal the sick after totally removing a young girl's case of terminal cancer.

 

Rohan now has two voices in his head, both of whom urge him to listen to them, and ignore the other. He manages to get noticed by the serial killer. Does Rohan stay safe and alive? Does Amayah get added to the list of victims? Does Rohan become an actual superhero?

 

Here is a first-rate piece of writing. It's an excellent teen coming-of-age story, with lots of action, and very good storytelling. For anyone who has wondered how a superhero learns to deal with their new abilities, this gives a very plausible answer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment