Welcome!


Welcome!! My name is Paul Lappen. I am in my early 60s, single, and live in Connecticut USA. This blog will consist of book reviews, written by me, on a wide variety of subjects. I specialize, as much as possible, in small press and self-published books, to give them whatever tiny bit of publicity help that I can. Other than that, I am willing to review nearly any genre, except poetry, romance, elementary-school children's books and (really bloody) horror.

I have another 800 reviews at my archive blog: http://www.deadtreesreviewarchive.blogspot.com (please visit).

I post my reviews to:

booklore.co.uk
midwestbookreview.com
Amazon and B&N (of course)
Librarything.com
Goodreads.com
Books-a-million.com
Reviewcentre.com
Pinterest.com
and on Twitter

I am always looking for more places to post my reviews.

Monday, July 31, 2023

Tree of Redemption

 Tree of Redemption, Jim Davidson, 2022

Chris Harrison travels from suburban Virginia to Laredo, Texas, because Armando, his dear friend and father figure, has died. Armando's family is a very well-respected, and very old, family (maybe going back to the Mayan Indians).

While staying at the family estate, Chris is told that Armando was murdered. There is no chance of Chris going back to Virginia, and forgetting about it. His first stop is at the local police station; they are no help. He learns later that that was a very bad idea. The police are totally corrupt. If they weren't involved in Armando's murder, they probably know who did it and aren't interested in justice.

There are people in Laredo who don't like questions about Armando's murder, and it's only a matter of time before they fight back. Chris has a couple of people on his side, including his estranged father. These are people who know how to get things done. Does Chris find out the truth about Armando's murder? How far does the coverup go? Who is still alive at the end of the story?

This is a gem of a story. Mystery/suspense stories are not limited to New York City or Washington DC; they can happen anywhere. Here is a tale that will very much keep the reader's attention. 

No comments:

Post a Comment