Welcome!


Welcome!! My name is Paul Lappen. I am in my early 60s, single, and live in Connecticut USA. This blog will consist of book reviews, written by me, on a wide variety of subjects. I specialize, as much as possible, in small press and self-published books, to give them whatever tiny bit of publicity help that I can. Other than that, I am willing to review nearly any genre, except poetry, romance, elementary-school children's books and (really bloody) horror.

I have another 800 reviews at my archive blog: http://www.deadtreesreviewarchive.blogspot.com (please visit).

I post my reviews to:

booklore.co.uk
midwestbookreview.com
Amazon and B&N (of course)
Librarything.com
Goodreads.com
Books-a-million.com
Reviewcentre.com
Pinterest.com
and on Twitter

I am always looking for more places to post my reviews.

Tuesday, February 6, 2024

The Head: A Johnny Fedora Espionage Assignment

 The Head: A Johnny Fedora Espionage Assignment, Desmond Cory, 2022

 

Johnny Fedora is a resourceful secret agent for British Intelligence. This was back in the days when all that an agent could rely on was their own brain.

 

Part of a series, this novel has Johnny in a small village in Spain. One of the world's greatest sculptors has just finished a large stone statue. Broken into pieces, the statue is to be carried (by donkey) to the top of a local mountain, where it is to be re-assembled in time for a local religious festival. We're not talking Mt. Everest; the snow-covered mountain is about three thousand feet high.

 

The trek attracts an assorted group of helpers, including the village priest and mayor, a female Spanish film star and a London newspaperman. Johnny also goes along "just for the ride." It turns into a fiasco. The snow and extreme fog are constant. The groups get separated from each other. Getting lost on the mountain is easy. They have come all this way; do they continue to the top, or give up, and head back down the mountain? This turns into a story of survival, even for someone as experienced as Johnny. Does the statue get installed properly? Does everyone make it off the mountain alive?

 

Here is a really good story. It's also a really "quiet" story; there is no sex or violence. There is lots of good storytelling, and it is very much worth reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment