Welcome!


Welcome!! My name is Paul Lappen. I am in my early 60s, single, and live in Connecticut USA. This blog will consist of book reviews, written by me, on a wide variety of subjects. I specialize, as much as possible, in small press and self-published books, to give them whatever tiny bit of publicity help that I can. Other than that, I am willing to review nearly any genre, except poetry, romance, elementary-school children's books and (really bloody) horror.

I have another 800 reviews at my archive blog: http://www.deadtreesreviewarchive.blogspot.com (please visit).

I post my reviews to:

booklore.co.uk
midwestbookreview.com
Amazon and B&N (of course)
Librarything.com
Goodreads.com
Books-a-million.com
Reviewcentre.com
Pinterest.com
and on Twitter

I am always looking for more places to post my reviews.

Tuesday, February 6, 2024

Home is Within You: A Memoir of Recovery & Redemption

 Home is Within You: A Memoir of Recovery & Redemption, Nadia Davis, 2023

 

This is the story of one person's journey from addiction, discrimination and mental health struggles to healing and redemption.

 

A native of Southern California, the author was the youngest of seven children. All of her siblings looked European, while she looked Hispanic (Mom was German, while Dad was Hispanic and Native American). She received the "usual" anti-Hispanic discrimination while growing up. She also got it from other Hispanics, who felt that her last name, Davis, was not Hispanic enough.

 

On a whim, she applied to UCLA (instead of going to a less-expensive state school), and they said Yes. She got interested in Sociology and Criminal Justice, with an emphasis on helping others. Davis got involved in a lawsuit that forced the local school to provide tests in Spanish, and not, automatically, put Hispanic students in the "slow" class.

 

As life went on, and after getting her law degree, the author battled addiction, a serious auto accident, public shaming and more than enough personal trauma for any one person. She also shows how she got through each of these "storms," and came out the other end recovered and healed.

 

This is a very inspirational book. No matter what personal trauma has been in your life, the author has probably been there. It is very much recommended for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment