Welcome!


Welcome!! My name is Paul Lappen. I am in my early 60s, single, and live in Connecticut USA. This blog will consist of book reviews, written by me, on a wide variety of subjects. I specialize, as much as possible, in small press and self-published books, to give them whatever tiny bit of publicity help that I can. Other than that, I am willing to review nearly any genre, except poetry, romance, elementary-school children's books and (really bloody) horror.

I have another 800 reviews at my archive blog: http://www.deadtreesreviewarchive.blogspot.com (please visit).

I post my reviews to:

booklore.co.uk
midwestbookreview.com
Amazon and B&N (of course)
Librarything.com
Goodreads.com
Books-a-million.com
Reviewcentre.com
Pinterest.com
and on Twitter

I am always looking for more places to post my reviews.

Friday, November 26, 2021

An Unusual Courtship

 An Unusual Courtship, Antoinette George, Brangwyn Press, 2020

 

Second in a series, this book is set in the 1790s. Marie-Catherine and her family are safely In England, having barely escaped from France. Their rescuer, a shadowy figure called The Shadow, must say his goodbyes. Marie-Catherine is heartbroken, and angry. She picks herself up, and sets about the task of finding a husband who is willing to take care of her refugee family.

Meantime, The Shadow (his real name is Francis) is never far away. He wants to tell Marie-Catherine who he really is, but it is never the right time. He can't just walk up to her and say "Hi, remember me?" She will probably try to kill him (literally). Francis must court her properly, which involves attending many masked balls, and many boorish and suggestive statements from him. Does he get her back? Does Marie-Catherine try to kill him?

Normally, I am not a reader of historical, swashbuckling romances, but this one is different. It is very easy to get totally involved in the story. The book has lots of good writing, along with many twists & turns. This is very much recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment