Welcome!


Welcome!! My name is Paul Lappen. I am in my early 60s, single, and live in Connecticut USA. This blog will consist of book reviews, written by me, on a wide variety of subjects. I specialize, as much as possible, in small press and self-published books, to give them whatever tiny bit of publicity help that I can. Other than that, I am willing to review nearly any genre, except poetry, romance, elementary-school children's books and (really bloody) horror.

I have another 800 reviews at my archive blog: http://www.deadtreesreviewarchive.blogspot.com (please visit).

I post my reviews to:

booklore.co.uk
midwestbookreview.com
Amazon and B&N (of course)
Librarything.com
Goodreads.com
Books-a-million.com
Reviewcentre.com
Pinterest.com
and on Twitter

I am always looking for more places to post my reviews.

Friday, November 26, 2021

The Art of Mindlessness

 The Art of Mindlessness, Levi Ouwendijk, Depaix Library, 2021

 

This book is a series of short meditations on the subjects of zen and meditation. It includes titles like The Medium of Thought, The Empty Mind, The Meditative State and The Great Attainment of Nothing.

It attempts to show that it is wrong that there is just one "proper" way to do meditation. Thinking of the world in absolutes of right and wrong limits the full experience of existence. The world seems to be full of breathing exercises and other ways to reach enlightenment.

Meditation will not, by itself, lead a person to enlightenment. If a person happens to attain it, then they had the right qualities already inside them. Meditation is about an awareness in the very feature of being.

This book is best for those who already know their way around the worlds of zen and meditation; it is not a beginner's book. It will take some patience on the part of the reader. If it opens the mind of the reader, even a little bit, to other ways of thinking, it will have done its job. It gets at least 4 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment