Welcome!


Welcome!! My name is Paul Lappen. I am in my early 60s, single, and live in Connecticut USA. This blog will consist of book reviews, written by me, on a wide variety of subjects. I specialize, as much as possible, in small press and self-published books, to give them whatever tiny bit of publicity help that I can. Other than that, I am willing to review nearly any genre, except poetry, romance, elementary-school children's books and (really bloody) horror.

I have another 800 reviews at my archive blog: http://www.deadtreesreviewarchive.blogspot.com (please visit).

I post my reviews to:

booklore.co.uk
midwestbookreview.com
Amazon and B&N (of course)
Librarything.com
Goodreads.com
Books-a-million.com
Reviewcentre.com
Pinterest.com
and on Twitter

I am always looking for more places to post my reviews.

Friday, November 26, 2021

Buenos Aires Triad

 Buenos Aires Triad, F E Beyer, National Library of New Zealand, 2021

 

Set in present-day Argentina, Lucas is an ordinary watch-seller. He moonlights for one of the Chinese criminal gangs operating in the capital. This particular gang is responsible for a brazen daylight robbery that left a British tourist dead. Such an attack can be bad for "business." The Argentine President orders the police to find those responsible, at all costs.

Lucas wants out of the gang; easier said than done. His "job" is to collect extortion money from Chinese-owned supermarkets, and throw Molotov cocktails at those who refuse to pay. Then the police arrest Boss Ping, the overall leader of the Chinese triads, at home. Can Lucas stay out of prison? Can Lucas stay away from an anonymous bullet in the back of the head, because someone thinks he may "talk?"

This is a very entertaining story. The author does a fine job of putting the reader right in the middle of Buenos Aires. I hope there is a Part 2 coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment