Welcome!


Welcome!! My name is Paul Lappen. I am in my early 60s, single, and live in Connecticut USA. This blog will consist of book reviews, written by me, on a wide variety of subjects. I specialize, as much as possible, in small press and self-published books, to give them whatever tiny bit of publicity help that I can. Other than that, I am willing to review nearly any genre, except poetry, romance, elementary-school children's books and (really bloody) horror.

I have another 800 reviews at my archive blog: http://www.deadtreesreviewarchive.blogspot.com (please visit).

I post my reviews to:

booklore.co.uk
midwestbookreview.com
Amazon and B&N (of course)
Librarything.com
Goodreads.com
Books-a-million.com
Reviewcentre.com
Pinterest.com
and on Twitter

I am always looking for more places to post my reviews.

Monday, March 7, 2022

Wullie The Mahaar Gome: Book 2: Twilight Cave

 Wullie the Mahaar Gome: Book 2: Twilight Cave, David Kennedy McCulloch, Blue Forge Press, 2017

Part 2 of a series, this book is about seventh-graders Finnley McDougall and Hadley Kobayashi. Their class is able to go on a trip to Spain, along with Finn's parents. They stay at a hacienda run by a distinguished older gentleman named Baltazar Mendoza, who takes a special interest in Finn.

The two young people find an underground city full of all types of gomes, rock creatures like Wullie, a rude, bad-tempered Scottish gome who is friends with Finn and Hadley. Finn disappears in the caves. A diligent search is undertaken, but it is assumed that he has fallen into a crevice somewhere, and will never be found. 

He has actually been kidnapped by the "bad" gomes, and a horrible thing is about to happen to him. It is half done, and the story moves to Scotland, where the other half is scheduled to happen. Can Finn be saved before he dies in a particularly awful way?

This book reaches the level of being a Wonderful piece of writing. The average young person may look at this book's length, almost 600 pages, and say "No thanks." Do not be concerned. The characters, the storytelling and the weird parts are all very compelling. This is highly recommended for young people and adults.

No comments:

Post a Comment