Welcome!


Welcome!! My name is Paul Lappen. I am in my early 60s, single, and live in Connecticut USA. This blog will consist of book reviews, written by me, on a wide variety of subjects. I specialize, as much as possible, in small press and self-published books, to give them whatever tiny bit of publicity help that I can. Other than that, I am willing to review nearly any genre, except poetry, romance, elementary-school children's books and (really bloody) horror.

I have another 800 reviews at my archive blog: http://www.deadtreesreviewarchive.blogspot.com (please visit).

I post my reviews to:

booklore.co.uk
midwestbookreview.com
Amazon and B&N (of course)
Librarything.com
Goodreads.com
Books-a-million.com
Reviewcentre.com
Pinterest.com
and on Twitter

I am always looking for more places to post my reviews.

Friday, February 3, 2023

Eversion

 Eversion, Alastair Reynolds, Orbit Books, 2022

Silas Coade is the ship's doctor on an 18th century sailing ship. It is heading for the north of Norway, looking for the rumored Edifice, with the possibility of lots of money to be made. They are also looking for any sign of a ship called "Europa," which made the same trip several years previously. Coade dies, and a short time later, wakes up on a zeppelin heading for Antarctica. He is again the ship's doctor.

 

The zeppelin is looking for evidence that the earth is hollow, and for any sign of a ship called "Europa," which made the trip several years before. Coade dies, and wakes up on a steam-powered schooner on the southern tip of South America. He is again the ship's doctor.

 

After several such incidents, Coade, and Ramos, the head of security for these expeditions. begin to realize that something very weird is happening. Along for the journey is Ada Cossile, who turns out to be more than just the plucky lady reporter sent to document the expeditions. The book ends in the underground sea on Jupiter's moon Europa, with Coade understanding just what he is.

 

This book deserves more than 5 stars. The first part of the book works very well as a pulp/adventure story. It has plenty of thought-provoking science, good characters and first-rate writing throughout. This is very highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment