Welcome!


Welcome!! My name is Paul Lappen. I am in my early 60s, single, and live in Connecticut USA. This blog will consist of book reviews, written by me, on a wide variety of subjects. I specialize, as much as possible, in small press and self-published books, to give them whatever tiny bit of publicity help that I can. Other than that, I am willing to review nearly any genre, except poetry, romance, elementary-school children's books and (really bloody) horror.

I have another 800 reviews at my archive blog: http://www.deadtreesreviewarchive.blogspot.com (please visit).

I post my reviews to:

booklore.co.uk
midwestbookreview.com
Amazon and B&N (of course)
Librarything.com
Goodreads.com
Books-a-million.com
Reviewcentre.com
Pinterest.com
and on Twitter

I am always looking for more places to post my reviews.

Sunday, February 19, 2023

Nine Planets

 Nine Planets, Greg Byrne, Dragonwell Publishing, 2014

Peter Blackwell wakes up from a coma into a very strange Earth. A pair of opposing groups have been fighting a secret war for the past seventeen centuries.

 

The Cabal has been fighting against The Brotherhood, and The Cabal (the bad guys) is winning. They have placed a curse of depression over the whole world. Suicide is common; there are public agencies that will help a person do it. Their opponent is The Brotherhood. They are nearly wiped out by The Cabal; their one weapon is Father Nick's Day. On the same day, everyone in the world receives a package; it is something that they really need. The deliveries are accomplished through time dilation. The idea behind Father Nick's Day is to convince people that suicide is not the answer, that someone really cares about them.

 

Peter has no memory of his previous life, but he does remember eight random images. There is a ninth image locked in his brain. Both sides want that image very much; it will end the war, one way or the other. He has only a few days to stop worldwide suicide.

 

This story is better than excellent. The characters, the action and, especially, the society-building, are all very well done. Philip K. Dick fans will love this book. It is very much worth reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment