Welcome!


Welcome!! My name is Paul Lappen. I am in my early 60s, single, and live in Connecticut USA. This blog will consist of book reviews, written by me, on a wide variety of subjects. I specialize, as much as possible, in small press and self-published books, to give them whatever tiny bit of publicity help that I can. Other than that, I am willing to review nearly any genre, except poetry, romance, elementary-school children's books and (really bloody) horror.

I have another 800 reviews at my archive blog: http://www.deadtreesreviewarchive.blogspot.com (please visit).

I post my reviews to:

booklore.co.uk
midwestbookreview.com
Amazon and B&N (of course)
Librarything.com
Goodreads.com
Books-a-million.com
Reviewcentre.com
Pinterest.com
and on Twitter

I am always looking for more places to post my reviews.

Sunday, February 19, 2023

Turn Your Fandom Into Cash

 Turn Your Fandom Into Cash: A Geeky Guide to Turn Your Passion Into a Business (or at least a Side Hustle), Carol Pinchefsky, Career Press, 2022

 

You are a total geek. You have seen all the Marvel movies (several times each). You world revolves around cosplay at conventions. Is it possible to make money from geekdom?

 

First of all, make some mockups of your proposed protect, and pass it around to friends and fellow geeks. Is there a market for it? Intellectual Property (IP) is very important. If you are selling Avengers t-shirts, Marvel will get very upset with you (legally). You need to learn how to market yourself, and your business, whether online or in-person. How will you get funding to start your business? Options include Kickstarter, Patreon or your parents.

 

The best place to market your product is at conventions. How much will you have to spend (transportation, food, lodging)? You need to at least break even at a con, or just don't go back next year.

 

There is a lot involved with making money from geekdom. This book does a very good job at exploring all of them. It is very much recommended, not just for geeks, but for everyone looking for a way to make some money.

No comments:

Post a Comment