Welcome!


Welcome!! My name is Paul Lappen. I am in my early 60s, single, and live in Connecticut USA. This blog will consist of book reviews, written by me, on a wide variety of subjects. I specialize, as much as possible, in small press and self-published books, to give them whatever tiny bit of publicity help that I can. Other than that, I am willing to review nearly any genre, except poetry, romance, elementary-school children's books and (really bloody) horror.

I have another 800 reviews at my archive blog: http://www.deadtreesreviewarchive.blogspot.com (please visit).

I post my reviews to:

booklore.co.uk
midwestbookreview.com
Amazon and B&N (of course)
Librarything.com
Goodreads.com
Books-a-million.com
Reviewcentre.com
Pinterest.com
and on Twitter

I am always looking for more places to post my reviews.

Sunday, July 11, 2021

Seeking the Light of Justice

 Seeking the Light of Justice: The Hoshiyan Chronicles I, Barry Nadel, Agrosearch, 2020

First of a series, this novel is about Yoshua Rosenberg, archaeology professor in present-day Israel, and former member of the Israeli military. In his travels, in an ancient book, he finds a title page for the Hoshiyan Chronicles. It specifically mentions something called the Light of Justice. Rosenberg is beyond shocked. This is not family folklore; it is more like a sacred duty to be constantly on the lookout for any such evidence.

The focus shifts to a 500-year-old nothing of a church in southern Spain. The Israelis set up a full-fledged archaeological expedition. Interesting things are found, including high-quality, colored marble tiles in strange shapes and patterns. It was hidden under several layers of paint, sand and other lesser-quality tiles. In a sealed room, inside the church, they make a horrifying discovery (it involves the Spanish Inquisition). The Vatican pressures the Spanish government to immediately shut down the site. The Israelis get evidence of "it" out to the public, creating a worldwide political and media firestorm. Most of the group gets back to Israel safely. But, three members are arrested, including Rosenberg, and tossed into prison, in solitary confinement. The Spanish Government won't be too upset if they should suffer an "untimely demise" while in prison.

This is a gem of a book. It's got a bit of science fiction, long-ago history, centuries-old religious coverups and some very good writing. I don't say this very often, but, I am very much looking forward to Part 2. 

No comments:

Post a Comment