Welcome!


Welcome!! My name is Paul Lappen. I am in my early 60s, single, and live in Connecticut USA. This blog will consist of book reviews, written by me, on a wide variety of subjects. I specialize, as much as possible, in small press and self-published books, to give them whatever tiny bit of publicity help that I can. Other than that, I am willing to review nearly any genre, except poetry, romance, elementary-school children's books and (really bloody) horror.

I have another 800 reviews at my archive blog: http://www.deadtreesreviewarchive.blogspot.com (please visit).

I post my reviews to:

booklore.co.uk
midwestbookreview.com
Amazon and B&N (of course)
Librarything.com
Goodreads.com
Books-a-million.com
Reviewcentre.com
Pinterest.com
and on Twitter

I am always looking for more places to post my reviews.

Sunday, May 16, 2021

Dawn of the Elite

 Dawn of the Elite, Andrea Barringer, 2021, self published

Part one of a series, on the planet Vilmos, a psychic connection has been discovered between fraternal twins, like their own private telepathy. Along with several pairs of twins, Rayah, and her brother Ondrous, are brought into the castle. They are to guard the supposedly barren queen, who is pregnant with twins. A crazed murderer named Rancor has just broken out of a maximum-security prison. Those twins, who are born prematurely, are his next target.

Before that, the first half of the book is a teen romance between Rayah, and a young man named Kaled. Things were serious between them; marriage was a real possibility. They didn't just break up, their relationship collapsed like a building in an earthquake. Kaled tries to fill the hole in his heart from losing Rayah with meaningless relationships, and he even sinks into alcoholism. He is reluctant to admit that he still has feelings for Rayah. While guarding the royal twins against Rancor, do Rayah and Kaled ever reach the point of being Not Enemies, even if they can't be friends?

This is a very good start to a series. Romance fans will love it. The author does a good job with the society-building. Perhaps some professional editing will bring this book from 4 stars (maybe 4.5 stars) to 5 stars. This is well worth reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment