Welcome!


Welcome!! My name is Paul Lappen. I am in my early 60s, single, and live in Connecticut USA. This blog will consist of book reviews, written by me, on a wide variety of subjects. I specialize, as much as possible, in small press and self-published books, to give them whatever tiny bit of publicity help that I can. Other than that, I am willing to review nearly any genre, except poetry, romance, elementary-school children's books and (really bloody) horror.

I have another 800 reviews at my archive blog: http://www.deadtreesreviewarchive.blogspot.com (please visit).

I post my reviews to:

booklore.co.uk
midwestbookreview.com
Amazon and B&N (of course)
Librarything.com
Goodreads.com
Books-a-million.com
Reviewcentre.com
Pinterest.com
and on Twitter

I am always looking for more places to post my reviews.

Friday, May 21, 2021

Piano and Keyboard for Beginners

 Piano and Keyboard for Beginners, Michael Williams, 2021

You have decided that you want to learn to play the piano. This book attempts to take the learner through the whole process of reading music and playing popular songs, starting with the purchase of a keyboard.

It is recommended to start on an acoustic piano. One reason for a real piano is so the learner can see the scales and chords on those 88 keys. The other reason is that, when hammers strike those strings, other strings, called overtones, also vibrate. It is not yet possible for electronic instruments to duplicate that sound. If buying a piano is not an option, then buy a digital keyboard with 76 or 88 keys. The greater number of keys will be useful when trying to play scales with both hands at once. Last, but not least, make sure your keyboard has weighted keys and is touch-sensitive. It matters.

The author also looks at reading sheet music, playing the C Major scale, rhythm, playing both hands together, major and minor keys, playing arpeggios and playing Beethoven's Ode to Joy.

This books feels comprehensive and easy to use. It all depends on the motivation of the learner. For any journey to learn the keyboard, here is a very good place to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment