Welcome!


Welcome!! My name is Paul Lappen. I am in my early 60s, single, and live in Connecticut USA. This blog will consist of book reviews, written by me, on a wide variety of subjects. I specialize, as much as possible, in small press and self-published books, to give them whatever tiny bit of publicity help that I can. Other than that, I am willing to review nearly any genre, except poetry, romance, elementary-school children's books and (really bloody) horror.

I have another 800 reviews at my archive blog: http://www.deadtreesreviewarchive.blogspot.com (please visit).

I post my reviews to:

booklore.co.uk
midwestbookreview.com
Amazon and B&N (of course)
Librarything.com
Goodreads.com
Books-a-million.com
Reviewcentre.com
Pinterest.com
and on Twitter

I am always looking for more places to post my reviews.

Sunday, June 13, 2021

Confessions of an Addict in Asia

 Confessions of an Addict in Asia, Chad Vegas, 2021, Nathaniel Mansfield

Last in the series, this novel is the story of Chad, a young man from California who has spent the last several years as part of the California marijuana trade.

Shuttling between California and Peru, Chad quits the weed trade after a disastrous harvest back home. Living in Peru, Chad tries his luck as a male stripper. While working as a bartender in Cusco, he meets Frank and Jill, an American couple who are "working" as digital nomads, while partying all night, every night. Chad watches as they consume jaw-dropping amounts of liquor, then do it again the next night.

Chad starts to learn the digital nomad world from his mentors. He makes enough money to not be destitute, but he is far from "making a living" at it. They invite Chad to join them at their next destination, Phnom Penh, Cambodia. It takes several different planes, and stops, but he makes it to Cambodia. 

The trio get introduced to the world of Asian ladyboys (look it up), and Frank and Jill continue to consume huge amounts of liquor every night. After a few weeks in Cambodia, where Chad meets a Cambodian "working girl," the trio head to Chiang Mai, Thailand. Do Frank and Jill teach Chad advanced digital nomad-ism? Does Chad progress to the point of making a living at it?

As with the other books in this series, get past the huge amount sex, drugs and alcohol in this book, and here is some really good writing. The author has justifiably been called a Latin American Hunter S. Thompson. The story does not drag at all, and is very much worth reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment