Welcome!


Welcome!! My name is Paul Lappen. I am in my early 60s, single, and live in Connecticut USA. This blog will consist of book reviews, written by me, on a wide variety of subjects. I specialize, as much as possible, in small press and self-published books, to give them whatever tiny bit of publicity help that I can. Other than that, I am willing to review nearly any genre, except poetry, romance, elementary-school children's books and (really bloody) horror.

I have another 800 reviews at my archive blog: http://www.deadtreesreviewarchive.blogspot.com (please visit).

I post my reviews to:

booklore.co.uk
midwestbookreview.com
Amazon and B&N (of course)
Librarything.com
Goodreads.com
Books-a-million.com
Reviewcentre.com
Pinterest.com
and on Twitter

I am always looking for more places to post my reviews.

Thursday, June 10, 2021

Such Unfortunates

 Such Unfortunates, Andrew Mann, Independently Published, 2019

In light of the present-day opioid epidemic, this is one person's story of beating addiction in the face of a huge amount of odds stacked against him.

Growing up in an upper-class family in New Jersey, from the outside, everything was fine. Behind closed doors, however, the amount of emotional and sexual abuse the author suffered (at the hands of his own family) was mind-boggling. Andrew quickly became addicted to any drug that would take away his depression, anxiety and panic attacks. There were multiple stints in rehab, jail, being homeless and even being considered dead. When things were at their worst, people came into his life to help him find the real reasons for his addiction.

Wow (and not in a good way)! The amount of abuse the author suffered at the hands of his own family was insane. For anyone who knows someone who is addicted to opioids, read this book. For anyone who is addicted to opioids, and wants to break the habit, read this book. It is highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment