Welcome!


Welcome!! My name is Paul Lappen. I am in my early 60s, single, and live in Connecticut USA. This blog will consist of book reviews, written by me, on a wide variety of subjects. I specialize, as much as possible, in small press and self-published books, to give them whatever tiny bit of publicity help that I can. Other than that, I am willing to review nearly any genre, except poetry, romance, elementary-school children's books and (really bloody) horror.

I have another 800 reviews at my archive blog: http://www.deadtreesreviewarchive.blogspot.com (please visit).

I post my reviews to:

booklore.co.uk
midwestbookreview.com
Amazon and B&N (of course)
Librarything.com
Goodreads.com
Books-a-million.com
Reviewcentre.com
Pinterest.com
and on Twitter

I am always looking for more places to post my reviews.

Monday, June 7, 2021

SSAT/ISEE Core Vocabulary

 SSAT/ISEE Core Vocabulary, James Jones, Independently Published, 2021

Intended for students in grades 4-7, this book aims to help with learning and memorizing vocabulary words. It includes words that have appeared on the Lower/Middle portion of the SSAT/ISEE test.

The author has tried very hard to not present all the words in the same way. On one page. the student learns synonyms, while, on another page, the student learns antonyms. On one page, the student is given a group of words, with instructions to choose the odd one out. On another page, the student is given a word bank, and instructed to choose synonyms for words like intense and shallow, or dark and light, or rude and polite. Having all the answers in the back of the book certainly helps. 

This book is recommended for any student who wants to improve their vocabulary. It is not just for students preparing for the SSAT/ISEE test, though it is certainly recommended for them, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment