Welcome!


Welcome!! My name is Paul Lappen. I am in my early 60s, single, and live in Connecticut USA. This blog will consist of book reviews, written by me, on a wide variety of subjects. I specialize, as much as possible, in small press and self-published books, to give them whatever tiny bit of publicity help that I can. Other than that, I am willing to review nearly any genre, except poetry, romance, elementary-school children's books and (really bloody) horror.

I have another 800 reviews at my archive blog: http://www.deadtreesreviewarchive.blogspot.com (please visit).

I post my reviews to:

booklore.co.uk
midwestbookreview.com
Amazon and B&N (of course)
Librarything.com
Goodreads.com
Books-a-million.com
Reviewcentre.com
Pinterest.com
and on Twitter

I am always looking for more places to post my reviews.

Sunday, June 13, 2021

The Isthmus Company: Part II

The Isthmus Company: Part II, Samantha Boulton, Book Vine Press, 2020 

This series is about the Isthmus Company, a shadowy organization that is somewhere an unscrupulous loan agency and a front for organized crime. When a person owes money to Isthmus, employees are sent to collect "collateral," which, in this case, means kidnapping a man's daughter to make sure he pays up.

In this book, Tig and Tryp, Isthmus employees, are on a long-overdue vacation. Their real intention is to leave Isthmus, permanently. It is not like simply handing in a resignation letter. Isthmus has world-wide influence, and the only way to leave is in a coffin.

This book works really well, with plenty of suspense and twists and turns. It's got good characters and a good story. My only semi-negative comment is that reading Part I before reading Part II is a very good idea. In Part II, the reader is dropped in the middle of the story, with no explanation of what happened previously.

No comments:

Post a Comment